Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Power Lighting

Then J again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life."  ~ John 8:12

I live inside a large house (5 stories) with four other women. Our house is located on the south side of the largest city in Cambodia, Phnom Penh. It's funny because in most major cities (at least in the U.S.) worrying about water and electricity is unheard of. However, in Phnom Penh, although we have electricity and water most of the time, there are parts of everyday when the water and lights are a little difficult to find. For example, every weekday morning between 6a.m. and 7a.m. I have no running water in my bathroom. Do not ask me why, this is just the way it is. On weekends the water is gone between 7a.m. and 8a.m. Once again, I am clueless as to why but have learned to get up earlier or shower later!

Water is not the only thing that hesitates inside my home, though. For some strange reason much of the power inside of my home, especially the fluorescent lighting that is supposed to guide me so as not to bump my toes on rattan furniture, has a difficult time powering itself to full force. In the living area the light takes at least three to four minutes before it actually comes on. In my personal bedroom after about 6p.m. I turn on the light but am fortunate if it comes on at all. My assumption is that the power cannot create enough energy for the lights to work in my bedroom at certain times of the day. Crazy, I know. I guess it's just one of those things you learn to live with and then begin to PTL for lamps!


I've been thinking about my water and my lights lately. I can relate to them, especially my lights, spiritually. There are certain times of the day when I am tired and have a hard time creating enough energy for light to shine through me. After about 8pm at night (sometimes after about 4pm) my lights begin to flicker and the power begins to fade. I feel my body and spirit begging me to slow down and recharge. There are also mornings when I wake up and turning the light on right away takes longer than expected. I find that on those mornings I need to spend extra quality time with the Father or my light is dim for the rest of the day.


I try hard to make my lights work throughout the week but those lights in my house are not powered by anything I have control over. I don't really have much control over the Light inside of me either. You see, even when I feel that my Light is dim, it really isn't. When I'm tired or have a slow morning putting my Light at full power, its already fully powered. I may not "feel" like there is any Light inside of me, but the Light that shines through me has nothing to do with me at all. The Father does not ask me to turn on the Light every morning, He just tells me to walk in it. My long days and my sleepy mornings don't change the Light inside of me from off, dim and fully on. The Light of life is always on bright and nothing I can do will change that. There can never be darkness with me if I'm powered by the Light.

No comments: