Monday, November 26, 2007

Prayer & Poetry

I've been given quite a bit of slack lately for not posting much since Biggio went away (I think I needed to time to heal...hehe) so here's a little something you might enjoy...

I've been reading a book by Amy Carmichael called I Come Quietly to Meet You. It's a beautiful book of her devotions, journal entries and prayers during her years in bed. Her sincerity, honesty and downright "realness" has been very encouraging to me. There is a poem, written by Amy, early in the book that really hit home with me and has become a daily prayer for me.

You know how, when you wake up in the mornings there is always something different on your mind and sometimes you wonder where it came from? For me it's usually a country music song or thoughts about work or life that really don't edify or glorify the Lord and they definitely don't give me hope about the day ahead. So, when I wake up with those thoughts I have taught myself to recite this prayer over and over until...well, you'll see.

Home of my heart, lest I forget
My redemptions cost to Thee
Let my earliest thoughts be set
Upon Thy Calvary


It's a simple poem, easy to memorize and easy to pray. Many a morning it has taken me from thoughts about myself to thoughts about my King. I will now pray that it will be that way for you!

1 comment:

Marti said...

Good thought, Mandy! Thanks for posting it.