Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Much to Learn

"If our impression of another culture is that it 'makes no sense' then we can be sure that we are not making sense to them either. The solution is to become a learner." ~Dr. Paul Hiebert (1932-2007)

This week Dr. Hiebert's quote has resonated with me time and again. It is not so much that everything around me is strange (although carrying a ladder on a small moped, my neighbor taking a shower in the front yard and watching others come at me because they are driving on the "wrong" side of the road are a bit out there), I feel as though I am the strange one. And, of course, I am! But do they realize that they are strange too? Are they taking a learners position when it comes to me? Why can't we all just be learners here?

Well, I suppose the majority of the people here have never read the quote. So, if I am going to be the only learner in this crazy relationship that I am building between myself and the Khmer people around me, I am going to have to laugh when they think I am strange, embrace their "strange" ways and remember just being a learner is strange.


1 comment:

a twenty-something California girl said...

When I first got to HK, I said,"that makes no sense!" a lot. I had to force myself to be content with observing rather than understanding most of the time. I guess that was culture shock.