Monday, November 03, 2008

We Made It

Well, Cheryl and I made it to Thailand! It's funny because this was one of the longest trips I have ever taken to get to Asia and unfortunately for Cheryl it was her first time...not the best way to say Asia or bust! However, we were on a plane for 20 some-odd hours and not on a ship for 2 or 3 months so I guess we can't complain too much.

I was really proud of myself when we got here. Once we got to Chiang Mai I realized it had been two years since I last visited but everything, even some of the language, came back to me immediately. I had no problem finding a taxi and getting us to the Hudson House, where we are staying while we're here. Not to pat myself on the back too much, but I was pretty pround of myself!

We arrived in CM around 5pm and when we got to the HH, we ran into the other SACs that were here for the conference. We didn't realize that it was starting Sunday night! We got here, literally, just in time. We stayed up until about 8:30pm and then crashed. We both handled Monday pretty well and stayed up until about 8pm...hopefully tonight will keep us up longer so we can see the town.

We stayed in the conference all day yesterday and it was really helpful for me to hear the Field side of Serv Asia and what their hopes and expectations are of me and the rest of the Homeside. (I hope this is making sense to you) It has been good to get to know the Field SACs faces since I talk with them via email on a daily basis. I have really enjoyed our time here, short though it may be.

Today the rest of the SACs are heading into the mountains to experience what a SA team actually looks like. They will spend two nights in a village north of the city. This will be good experience for them. Cheryl and I are leaving on a 10 hour train ride tomorrow morning so we won't be joining the rest of the SACs on this little adventure...we're going to have our own!

We will head up to one of the most beloved Buddhist temples in Chiang Mai this afternoon and then I'm going to show Cheryl around the city this evening. We'll head south tomorrow morning.

We are really doing well and I think having this as our first stop has been good for us. I look forward to what God will teach us as we continue on in our travels.

Please continue to pray for us. This part of the trip has been so great but we will be heading into places that the Evil one will not appreciate and there is spiritual darkness all around us; we'll need covering. Your prayers will be heard!

I'll write again soon!

1 comment:

a twenty-something California girl said...

proud of you! say hi to anyone i might know for me.